I was asked to be a key member of the UEFA team that designed and delivered the now ubiquitous FanZone that accompany each major multinational sports event.
The FanZone Event Guide was an essential requirement for each of the eight Host Cities, as they contained all the elements required to host these ‘new’ open-air fan spaces.
- Stage and Big Screen plans and artwork (each location was unique)
- Directional signage
- Entrance and exit gates
- Fence dressing
- Pre and post-event checklist
- Legal obligations of both the Host City and the organiser (UEFA)
As the “Championship” was hosted in two countries with multiple languages the guides had to be published in English, French and German.
The gallery on the right includes some of the spreads from the “Brand Guidelines”. Please click through too see some of the elements needed to create the FanZones.
The gallery depicts the various stages of the creation, construction and enjoyment of the FanZones
In total over 450 unique elements were created and deliverd over a two week period.
Once the FanZone Guides were complete, we needed to produce the FanZones in each of the eight Host Cities. This was a large logistical exercise;
- Meeting the contractors, making sure that we had the correct dimensions, as each installation was bespoke.
- Meeting printers, making sure that they could produce the material to the specifications required.
- Generating and delivering the artwork for each part of the installation.
- My favourite moment was seeing fans catting a part of the fence dressing home as a souvenir.
Sports Sponsorship and Marketing
To see some more examples of my experience within sports marketing please click the link below.